Sunday, January 9, 2011

The next WNBA stars

Whew--we made it through the week---I was so looking forward to Friday because at our household we have a tradition on Fridays...Friday nap. Friday naps take place after we arrive home and have eaten multiple varieties of junk food. They usually last for a few hours, and in general they are just great. So Friday night was a typically Friday in Quin watching movies and hanging out with the family. It is so nice to be back!

The call: Saturday morning as I was all nestled in my bed, my phone rang. I looked at the time and thought to myself, who the heck is calling me at 9:30 in the morning. To my surprise it was neighbor Rachel. The first thing she said was You are playing basketball and so is Al. After much convincing, I decided that I would play. I thought it was only one game and how much pain would I be feeling after one game.

So I suited up and it was time for game one. The game started and with only four minutes into the game I was in pain, I was out of breath, and clearly I did not think I would make it. Whew there was an opportunity to sit out so I immediately took that chance. After a few minutes someone yelled sub. I was so excited to go back into the game that I just got up and ran out on the court. Apparently that was not the thing to do. There was whistle blowing and lots of confusion and I am proud to say I got my first ever technical foul that game for running on the court at a random time.

At halftime we were down by 20 or more and I was dreaming of the Hershey pie in our refrigerator to get me through the rest of the game. For people watching in the stands, this game was hilarious...there were multiple traveling calls, double dribbles, over and back. You name it and we probably did it. It was a fun game though and I thought it was the only game I would have to play which made it even better. The game ended we lost by 12 and I was ready to take a nap.

Once back at the house Al and I were hanging out watching television. We were just about to cut into that delicious pie when the phone rang again, It was Rachel--so far the calls from Rachel were 0 for 1 so I was afraid to answer. Oh yes somehow we had to play again. We were not happy with this news. Rachel informed us she would be sitting this one out so it would just be the two of us. So after much complaining and saying we could only go if we got a ride, someone picked us up and we were on our way. This game was brutal because we had no subs. Just 40 awful minutes of running up and down the court. This game ended more positive as we ended with a win-- I was beginning to feel dizzy and the feelings of the 8 mile bike ride earlier in the year were creeping upon me.

After game two all I wanted to do was lay. I had done far more physical activity in these two games then I was used to. So that was what I did, I went in my bed and laid.

The knock: Someone was at our door and Al answered it. Moments later I hear Alicia can you come here. I get up with much struggle and there is Karen. She tells us we will in fact have to play a third game. This is NOT what we wanted to hear. I began pleading and begging not to play, but this did not work. They know our stipulations for going though, we must be picked up we said. About thirty minutes later we headed back up to the school for round three. This game was our closet yet. We only lost by 5 points!! Allison was a star this game rebounding and scoring baskets like a pro. Shout out to Steph and Rachel who watched us play this game!

The competition: There has been a rumor all week that at some point the water in the village would be shut off. There is a frozen pipe somewhere and they need to shut the water off until they find it. This means that we will not be getting filled up until the issue is resolved. This has in fact happened and we are on a low water supply until further notice. This means we have to conserve our water because we are not sure how long it will last. This made us think of a little competition we can have with the other double houses: THE WATER COMPETITION. We are going to see who can make their water last the longest. The winners get dinner cooked by the losers. Al and I have thought of some clever ways to make this happen, so feel free to share your ideas with us as well.

WHOA WHOA WHOA: This ia a common phrase that comes out of my mouth as we walk anywhere these days. It is becoming super slippery outside and it quite frankly very scary. Al and the others are pretty good at walking on this ice, but I just get scared. The other night I just crawled across this ice because I didn't want to fall!

In other news Seeker (Eric and Sherry's dog) had pups this week. I officially finished an online class and I start my Master's program tomorrow online. This should be a busy semester, but I am super pumped for it!

A direct quote from Allison to end this blog as she cooking her breakfast. "If we are feeling like this, the older ladies on our team must be dying, I am only 22." Yes this does sum up my pain for the day. Every part of me is hurting. It hurts to laugh, walk, lay, sit, pretty much do anything.

That is all from the village of Quinhagak! Miss you all! =)