Tuesday, January 25, 2011

100th day of school!

Today is our 100th day of school!

I can't believe that it has been 100 days already--time is flying. I look back at my students and myself and I see so much growth that is taking place---its unbelievable. My students are learning new skills daily and I'm learning new teaching skills as well as things about myself.

So now I am challenging myself to think of 100 things/experiences I have enjoyed since being in Quinhagak--here goes: these are in no particular order

DISCLAIMER: Individual people did not make the list because well that would take up too many spaces! Everyone in Quinhagak has touched my life in some way shape or form and that is what I am thankful for!

1. Learning to play cribbage
2. Friday naps
3. Family movie night on Fridays with Steph and Jim especially when we make Jim watch girl movies
4. First ever steaming experience and on the way home when we thought we were being chased by an animal
5. Riding next to a dead caribou
6. Locking myself in the arctic entry at 1:00 in the morning
7. first time dumping the honey bucket, now we have quite the system of spraying and dumping, its nice
8. dance parties with Allison (we talked tonight, I think this is where we first bonded)
9. Water games with Allison
10.Trips to the post office--even when she tells me no
11. Making puppy chow and various other baking experiences
12. Toasting marshmallows on the stove--and making make shift Smores
13. Walking to the Bering Sea--at first not wanting to walk that far simply because I don't like to exercise--but now it is quite the peaceful walk with friends
14. Bonfires at the Sea--Taking the random jumping picture at the sea which took about 30 tries
15. The salmon run---I ran it (only the 1/2 mile), thought I was going to collapse, but was fun to do with the kids.
16. Watching Tucker and Riley and when Al shut Tucker into my room and he kept me up ALL night
17. Ani running away from us at 10 at night--and getting super mad
18. My students coming to my house for all turning in their homework and having a spaghetti dinner
19. Coaching Speech
20. Craft night at Dennis and Marshas
21. Driving a four wheeler for the first time with Allison
22. Berry picking and just laying down because I felt ill
23. When Jim makes us watch things he thinks are very funny and we do not agree
24. Going on an 8 mile bike ride and practically dying
25. The numerous times our heat has stopped working, we didn't have lights, our sink leaking, etc
26. The time I thought Gill had died and we had a sleepover at Steph and Jim's
27. Art retreats
28. Taking the school bus at age 24 with all my friends in the morning
29. Having nail painting parties
30. Baking with Steph for Thanksgiving
31. Burritos at Steph and Jims
32. Glee and Jersey Shore Night
33. All 16 of my math students
34. When you are walking down the road and children are screaming hi Miss Weaver, but you can not see them anywhere
35. My intense online shopping
36. Mystery gifts from Moosejaw
37. When I lost my keys and Al and I had to walk on opposite sides of the road to find them
38. When the couch ate Al's wallet
39. Al getting a real live Christmas tree in the mail
40. Gill
41. Cooking tacos (the one thing I am good at)
42. Kool-aid
43. When Al cooks dinner and then I wash the dishes (a typical night)
44. playing three games of basketball and not being able to move
45. When Al and I tried P90X and we were just rolling on the floor laughing
46. Getting packages from my friends
47. Attending feasts for birthdays
48. My first throw party.
49. Winning a beaver fur at the Christmas gift exchange
50. Creating a Christmas card with Al instead of doing separate ones
51. First time ever eating fish
52. GOing fishing for the first time ever--Al catching three me catching none
53. Catching my first fish ever, and then Jim letting it go without taking a picture
54. The view of the mountains when there is good visibility
55. My students making progress in the reading program and hearing them become better readers
56. Having pep rallies
57. The halloween contest "clap for him"
58. My first Thanksgiving in Quin
59. Weekends in Bethel
60. Cooking breakfast on weekend mornings
61. How sometimes when Al and I cook, we turn on the wrong burner and then are wondering why it hasn't cooked.
62. When Steph, Jim, and I hid under the house and scared Allison then did the same thing to Al and Jon.
63. Seeing a dead bear for the first time
64. Being chased with a dead mouse in our house
65. Our numerous dinner parties
66. Sunday afternoon trips to the school
67. Laying in different continents on Steph's floor on Fridays
68. Making a cake for the bake sale, eating a piece out of it, and then selling it
69. Creating a picture to hang in our house on our first Saturday
70. Watching the lunar eclipse
71. watching hunting shows and having people quiz me on the different animals
72. Eating Caribou (not something I would have done before this)
73. The friendly waves we get when walking to and from different places
74. My new Quinhagak family who is always there if I need something
75. Fashion shows when Al and I get something new
76. How Al and I ignore the knocks on our door and sometimes when the kids scream "We know you're in there
77. Allison (she says she must make the cut of 100 things)
78. The fact that I have lived here for about 6 months and still can't tell Steph and Jim's dogs apart
79. "Just having a Friday"
80. All of the Quin teachers
81. When we tried to make popcorn and had a little fire on our stove
82. Learning about the culture and having an open mind about new experiences
83. When Flat Stanley visited
84. When one of my students who struggles was able to read something with no mistakes and you could see their excitement
85. The support here (teachers, friends, community members, etc)
86. Decorating our house for Christmas
87. The fact that it is the 100th day of school and up until earlier today my calendar says October
88. Allison's love for onions. I even got her a picture of onions for Christmas
89. Cuvs
90. When I sat in a building for 3 hours with a French pilot determined to fly to Bethel and only getting stuck
91. Al and I creating poems for birthdays, boss's appreciation and other holidays
92. When Al's parents visited
93. Tank Top
94. When we first got our span Alaska order and we had corndogs, chicken nuggets, pizza rolls, and hot pockets
95. Slushies at Sammy's
96.The squatter dog that has now passed
97. When Jim makes us chocolate chip cookies and brags about how delicious they are
98. OB
99. Watching the beautiful sunsets/sunrises while walking places or at school
100. Just having the privilege to live and work in such a beautiful place and meeting some of the most down to earth friends and people ever.
101. When I freak out about things and Rachel has to calm me down

Here's to looking forward to having 100 more in a few months when it is time to reflect on the year.

I challenge some of you to think about where you are and think if you can come up with 100 things about that to love. It was great to reflect on all the funny things that have happened here in Alaska.

Hope y'all have a fantastic Tuesday and rest of the week =)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I didn't make the list.

Alicia Weaver said...

who are you??

Anonymous said...

It's about time my son was made to watch girlie movies!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I didn't say anything about girlie movies...Aunt B

Julie said...

How ever did you come up with 100 things?? I'd probably die out at about 45 or so! Maybe I'll try it just to see.

Sounds like you wouldn't trade this year for anything...aside from the cold it sounds fabulous for you!!

When I think I am cold here in Ohio, I'll just remember YOU in the very sub zero temperatures!!

Anonymous said...

Oops!! I mean girl movies!!