Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back into the swing of things

It’s Wednesday already and I have been back for two days! Not going to lie, teaching after being gone for 2 weeks is rather tough. Yesterday my students were just as tired as myself laying on the tables, yawning all the time—we were all struggling. Today though things are going great. I had a great math lesson with all of them and am happy to be back. Once I get back into the swing of things, I know that this will be a great quarter!

Yesterday morning our house decided to welcome us back by the pipes under the sink loosening. Allison got quite a wet surprise (or more like a mini flood) when she was trying to wash some dishes. With all the little issues that we have had since we have lived here it is just funny. Oh it just makes me smile and confirms the fact that I am happy to be back.

So my journey back from quite the experience—something funny happened on every single plane---makes for an interesting trip back. Started my journey from good ole Cleveland, Ohio. I then landed in Dallas Texas. On that little flight a fellow person in my row had a cold. I just kept thinking to myself please don’t cough and sneeze on me for the next three hours. Instead it was as if they knew every time I was about to fall asleep—because they would proceed to blow their nose very very loud into my ear. Oh what a mess.

Next stop was Portland, Oregon. This flight was a little longer and after reading two magazines and listening to my IPod until the battery ran out I was running out of things to do. I have never gone to the bathroom on an airplane, because quite frankly it just creeps me out. After this experience I shall stay true to that and not use the bathroom again. So on this flight after much debate I get up to go. As I come back I am just strutting down the aisle like the big deal that I am. When I go to get into the seat, BAM—completely smashed my head on the overhead compartments. Everyone around me was howling with laughter. Oh the pain---I couldn’t move my neck for a little bit, and I felt as if I left some of my pride on that plane after that experience. The person next to me kept asking if I was okay but then started laughing again when they thought about me hitting my head---I am a mess.

After Portland I was off to Anchorage. The Anchorage flight was not as eventful. I had to sit in the very back row. The turbulence on this flight though was nothing like I have ever experienced. I felt like I was on a legit roller coaster bobbing up and down. It was a rather rough experience.

After Anchorage I had a 6 hour layover where I just tried to catch up on some beauty sleep. On the way to Bethel it was rather snowy and when we tried to land we missed the landing. I was freaking out as there was no way I wanted to spend my day in Anchorage. The pilot got on and announced we would try one more time and then if we didn’t land we would head back. I sat watching as I crossed my fingers, toes, and anything else for good luck. Apparently this bothered a small child on the plane who began vomiting multiple times---ICK! Whew---we landed and then I was one step closer to being back in Quin.

It is a great feeling to be back. We have snow here again which in Ohio we had none. It was super icy on Sunday though which I was not looking forward to, but since it has snowed, it is much better. Me and Al have been reunited with Gill and we are once again a happy family.

I’ll end with yet another funny story about my trip back to Quinhagak. So last Monday I got a brand new pair of glasses because it is something that I needed to get taken care of. I was worried that in my trek they would get lost or something, but nope they made it to Bethel. In Bethel something terrible happened, I stepped on those things and broke them. Who would have known? It has only been a week! So now I have to part with my glasses, send them back to Ohio and hope that they get fixed for me.

Well that’s really all that is new from me. Just trying to get caught up on my sleep and I still need to unpack from my trip. Yes it has been two days and my suitcase still sits there with things inside.

I’ll leave y’all with some pictures from my trip back home. Until next time, have a great week!






2 comments:

Julie said...

NO! You stepped on your beautiful purple glasses?? What will you do without them??

Alyssa said...

LOVE THE PICTURES <3