Thursday, April 7, 2011

When the wind blows

This is our forecast currently here in Quinhagak, Alaska.

So this weather is quite beautiful these days.....WAIT that is a joke. Yesterday outta know where we got winds up to 60 mph. The wind was blowing and you can hardly see in front of you. It's only been like this one or two other times since I have been here. The wind doesn't really bother me because I think it's kinda funny when it is blowing you all over the place. I always get a good laugh when I'm trying to walk down the steps, and I have no control. Getting pelted in the face with snow is what bothers me.

Thanks Rachel for this picture, took it off her blog!

Yesterday after school, Jim gave Steph and I a ride home on the four wheeler. I was just laughing once I arrived home, the snow was just pelting me in the face and it was so cold---I'm actually starting to feel like I am in Alaska (weather wise)


The problem with the wind you see if it creates giant snow drifts. These snow drifts pile up and its hard to walk over them let alone drive the snow bus. I remember one time earlier this winter, Al and I were walking to school and it went from one extreme to another. One point there would be no snow at all, another point just ice, and then a huge mound of snow to walk over. This morning Rachel called because she said the bus would not be able to get over the big snow drifts. I didn't really know what that meant, but said okay. We got picked up in the car instead, As we got in the car Rachel was like put on your seat belt and hold on. The streets are literally piled with mounds of snow. We had to go over one of them--it was kinda scary but funny.

The brand new Quinhagak store opened yesterday. There was news that it would be built by November, but yesterday at 3 o clock was the grand opening. We drove threw the wind tunnel and went to see what the talk was all about. That store is beautiful! There is so much food and it is so big, doesn't really feel like you're in the village. There is going to be a produce section, clothing section, and lots of other things. They even had a huge section of pickles! I was impressed!!

Today is day three of the state testing, and the week has been going pretty well. Next week I head into Bethel with some students for an art production called "This is Who We Are" We have been filming a movie on the green screen. We took a Yupik store and transformed in into a movie. It is fun and def a learning experience. I will be sure to take some photos of that. I am pretty excited for it and to be with different teachers and students from the district, always a fun time!

That's all for now---trying to stay warm and not get blown away or slip on the ice!

Only about 7 more weeks until I am home for the summer =)

No comments: