Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter in Alaska

This weekend I headed to Bethel because I needed to go to the doctor. Where else will you take a plane to go to the doctor? After the doctor I just stayed in Bethel for the weekend to have an Easter celebration with Pete. Friday we ordered Chinese food which was delicious and just kinda hung around watching television.

Saturday we went to the store to prepare for this Easter dinner we would try to prepare together. I swear the two of us go to the store in Bethel more than anyone I know. Anyways at the store we created a feast. We made a D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S spiral glazed ham, asparagus, potatoes, and a pistachio dessert. We even had crescent rolls! It was quite the treat and helped me to not miss home as much.

Sunday I headed back to Quinhagak in the early afternoon to have lunch with everyone here. We had quite the feast and it was nice to all be together.

This week is cultural week here in Quinhagak. The students will be participating in a variety of different activities and trying new things. It should be an interesting and meaningful experience. I am excited to learn how to make some new things and watch the students learn.

SPRING IS HERE! It is getting much warmer (well around 40) and the weather is looking good. In Bethel this weekend it was 40 and sunny--it felt like a treat. One of the things I am most looking forward to is working on my tan this summer. Anyways everything is thawing out and it is like a big river. They had to build a mini bridge to help drain the water. I honestly have never seen anything like it. There is this one house and there literally is like a small lake on both sides. It is crazy!! It is officially time for my big nasty muck boots that I will probably have to wear for the remainder for the year. I made a mistake of going outside in my little flats and got completely drenched. It was awful!!

The packing has began! People who know me well, know that I despise packing. It is one thing I do not enjoy at all. I've started packing totes to take into Bethel so I'm not going crazy at the end of the year. Who knew I had so much stuff--its crazy! So far I have three totes packed--my room looks like a disaster and the real question is just how much stuff will I forget here in this house. Not much I hope. The good news is that I have been uncovering and finding a bunch of new stuff, which is always exciting!!

That's all for now =)

No comments: