Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happenings in Quin

It is midweek already. I am sitting on the couch sipping on some tea after a long day of work. It has been quite an enjoyable week to say the least. Besides fighting this cold, things are going well. Being sick here kinda stinks because it is somewhat of a challenge to get medicine. Luckily between all of us here, we have enough medicine to make it work. I am feeling slightly better today, so hopefully the worst is over.

This week has been going pretty well in the classroom. I finished up a chapter on fractions and am now teaching multiplication. Monday there was a funeral and memorial in the village. When there is a funeral people from the entire village gather to celebrate the person's life. The memorial was lots of singing and talking about the person. It was a neat experience to be a part of.

Tuesday my Bethel visitor and I went on a walk to the beach. A lot of the snow has melted so it was pretty nice and I didn't have to worry about falling....BUT WAIT even I can still find a way to fall when it's not that icy out. I was walking home from the beach and got excited and whoops my foot got caught in deep snow and I just kinda toppled over. I think it was a funny sight to watch. It was nice to get a bit of cold air and enjoy the nice weather. On the way home we decided to cut across the tundra---it was hilarious as we were just falling into the snow and into the tundra. At one point I thought I was just going to get stuck. At last I just decided to go for it and run across.

After the walk I worked up quite the appetite. Back in Ohio there is this special dish that I love to eat. It is called SOS. I always talk about it and no one has ever heard of it, but I just googled it my friends and it is real. Here is what I found: Chipped beef on toast (or creamed chipped beef on toast) is a culinary dish comprising a white sauce and rehydrated slivers of dried beef, served on toasted bread. According to google, it was often served in the military.

So I decided to make my special dish. It consists of hamburger, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, and onions. You put it on top of toast or noodles. It doesn't always have the best look, but my friends it is GOOD! Allison declined to try it, others were not a fan of it either, but they do not know what they are missing!!

This weekend we (the new teachers) are heading into Bethel for the Camai festival. The Camai festival is a cultural event with showcases different Yupik dancers and many other cultural pieces. I am excited to see some of the new teachers I have not seen in a while and just relax in Bethel.

Shout out to Stephanie B! She is celebrating her birthday on Friday. I will def. have more details about that later =)

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

SOS is the absolute best comfort food! If you can get past the appearance it is great! Aunt B