Monday, March 21, 2011

The final semester

The final semester has begun! Quarter 4 began on Friday and we only have 9 more weeks left of this school year. Things have been moving along. State testing is in about 2 weeks so the students and teachers have been preparing for that. I am fighting a cold currently-I was last went as well--it went away but I think it is here to stay now -so that is always fun.

This weekend was a typical weekend of relaxing filled with sleeping, food, and friends. Friday night we had a movie night over at Steph and Jim's. Not the best movie ever, but I didn't hate it. Saturday was pretty relaxing, I slept in late and didn't really do much of anything. Started to read my new book and just hang out. A trip to the post office and store also happened, and then just a lot of laying around. Saturday night Al and Jon had us over for dinner and we watched The Newsies.

Saturday night there were winds up to 80 mph--it literally sounded like our house was going to be blown away. It was super loud and horrible to sleep. There was a boat up against our house and the wind was getting underneath of it. It kept slamming into the side of the house where my room is--all night. I spent a good quarter of the night trying to figure out what the noise was. It continued to do this throughout the entire night. The funny thing about our houses are that when the wind is super bad, they just shake and shake. Sometimes you start to feel a little sick when you are laying in your bed. This doesn't happen all the time, but it def is a feeling to get used to at first.

Sunday was spent watching basketball games and just hanging out.I slept in until noon which doesn't happen often, but was a special treat to myself. My bethel visitor and I got to hang out (apparently some planes will still fly in 50 mph wind gusts) and I beat him in basketball so it was a nice Sunday before heading back to school today.

The winds have stopped now, and things are starting to melt. It is getting warmer now (around 30) and all the snow is turning into water. It has been nice walking to the beach a few times last week and just enjoying the Alaskan scenery. The days are getting longer now as it stays light until around 9pm now. The sun has been rising between 8:30-9:00 am. The whole daylight/dark aspect of living here was def. not what I thought it was going to be---much better actually.

Shout-out to my baby brother in Ohio who turned 24 yesterday! =)
That's about it for now---

No comments: