Saturday, February 19, 2011

fall #2

Things have been pretty busy here lately and I am anxiously awaiting spring break next week. Thursday is our last day of school, and the girls and I head to Anchorage on Friday. We will be flying to Fairbanks on Saturday for a few days and then back to Anchorage. After Anchorage I'll spend some time in Bethel and then end my spring break. I am going to make it my goal to take pictures, since I have been lacking in that department. I think I may even make my first ever skiing debut, stay tuned for this one---I am sure that it will be great!

OH THE FALL---so last weekend Al and I decided to take our trash to the dump. In Quinhagak we have to walk our trash to the dump which is a few minute walk away. We had been putting this task off for days because due to the cold temperatures and ice, we just didn't want to do it. We decided to gear up, and we set out for the dump. NoW Al must be like a professional ice walker because she was speed racing and I was slowly trekking behind. After my prior fall, I was nervous to go too quickly because I didn't want to get hurt again. Trip one whew, we made it back and we decided to take one more because it was that cold outside. I made it on the way there with no mishaps I literally was walking very slow. I was the tortoise and Al was the hare except in this case Al still made it back to the house long before me.

So anyways I was in the home stretch about to be home and I think I started to get too comfortable. There was a car driving in front of me and I was just smiling and looking around when BAM---I completely wiped out. I mean my feet flew out right underneath me and I fell hard. I was more embarrassed because a car load of people had just watched this happen. I quickly got back up and was limping back into my house---OH THE PAIN. I did not get seriously hurt, just bruised my hand and my back...OUCH..I think after this incident, I will continue to still walk slow on the ice.

Last week was a perfect week. In the classroom I have been teaching multiplication and division, which is going well. Steph and I also administered a speaking test this past week. It was interesting to get to sit down the students from the entire school and give this test. It allowed me to appreciate what we do in our school and learn more about the students that we work with.

It has been pretty cold here lately, our pipes at the house were freezing. We found this out one day when I did the dishes. Al heard a weird sound coming from the bathroom. When I drained our sink all the food and water drained into our bathtub. Talk about gross! Only in Alaska do we drain our sink and then run into the bathroom to see if the water has clogged it up. We had many laughs with this experience. It's getting a little warmer now, so we haven't had any more experiences with this.

I can not really think of too much more going on here in Quinhagak. It is starting to stay lighter longer now, which is until about 7:00 pm. The whole darkness thing is a lot better then I first thought it was going to be. Al and I are having a lazy Saturday which has consisted of some cribbage, bread making, walking to the post office, and just hanging out. Tonight we are all going to get together for our weekend movie gathering, which should be a good time.

Contracts are coming out for the next year soon, so I have really been thinking about that lately and considering different things. I can not believe it is already February. I can still remember August and arriving in Bethel and just thinking where the heck am I as tears rolled down my face. I look back on the growth I've made as a person and the happiness that I have experienced this year and I truly can not believe it. I am satisfied with my decision to move to Alaska, since in the beginning I was taking a huge leap and just deciding to go. It's amazing how things happen both good and bad and how they impact our lives. I am so happy for this experience and all the wonderful people that have touched my life this year. I honestly can't wait to see what happens in the next three months and look back on the skills I have gained as a teacher. Okay thats enough of my deep thinking for today---

Shout out to our boys basketball team who made it to Districts. They will compete in Bethel in a few week at districts. Great job Seahawks!

Oh and just a reminder to people back at home....someone specials birthday is in 4 days....but whose counting???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

will you go back to quinhak?