Sunday, August 29, 2010

Weekend in Quin

Hello friends!

It seems like the weekends here are so jammed packed I always have things to write about. So my time in Bethel was pretty productive. Got some training in—had some Subway (where a five dollar foot long is no longer five dollars) and then back to good old Quinhagak. I am sorry to report that my trip home was way less entertaining then the way there.

Friday around 6:30 I was reunited with the family (Gill and Allison) and oh it was great to be back together again. We ate some dinner and then set off for our new Friday night tradition…SLUSH PUPPIES…it was even better then last weeks! We have decided our new thing will be Friday night slushies. We then headed to Marsha’s (she is another teacher in our village) for…BEADING NIGHT..I had been looking forward to bead night all day long. So we beaded and we beaded, it was a great night. My craft may not look too professional, but hey I am just a beginner. Marsha has craft night at her house on Fridays…I am going to be super crafty by next May!



So after my super crafty night us girls took our first steam….for those of you who do not know what this it is part of the Yupik

culture. It is bacially like a tiny shack one room is where you change and sit after you have to run out of the steem part because it is so hot. It is basically like a sauna but WAYYYY hotter. I mean WAYY HOTTER…I did not last long in there at all. It was a good experience and something I have never really experienced before.

Saturday morning was like every Saturday morning thus far. Wake up make a little breakfast, drink a little tea and then just hang out. We cleaned our whole house and it is looking pretty darn good. We got some food this week that we ordered and I am proud to announce we now have enough food that we were able to organize by category. PRETTY IMPRESSIVE I KNOW. For those of you who have no idea, food here is way more expensive then I thought it would be. Really helps you appreciate the value of money when everything here is up to three times more expensive then back home. Some examples: pop tarts 5.50 a box (the little boc), a bag of chips is anywhere between 8-10 dollars, and one can of pop is 1.50. After cleaning we headed to the post office and then just hung out.

Today was a tough day because I got a call that my classroom had flooded, and some of my things have been ruinied. (books, supplies, personal belongings, etc) I’ve been pretty upset about this all day, but tried to surround myself with people who make me the happiest! I am really pushing myself to think that hey it could have been worse. It is just another little obstacle and at this point it is outta my control. And I will be able to go in and do what I need to do to fix my room before school on Monday.


A special announcement: Gill got a brand spanking new tank this weekend. It looks wonderful. It is Red and about 3 times bigger then the last tank. Gill is one happy fish! Very classy Gill, very classy!







So tonight had a relaxing night with Steph and Jim laughing and watching t.v. I have a new obession after the dinner we ate tonight. IT WAS SOOO GOOD—Made me forget about taco bell, wendys, and all the fast food places I have been missing oh so much. It was potatoes with taco meat and cheese. DELICIOUS. I have also found someone here who likes to online shop even more than me. And I thought I wouldn’t be trendy! This year is going to be great. We will both have all the latest fashions.

So I leave ya with a final thought (I am really starting to enjoy these final thoughts) The final thought/word for today is perservance. If you truly are searching for something, you must not give up. When things get tough you just have to reply on the others around you to help you get/find what you are looking for. As the days continue to pass and I miss home more and more I realize that what I want is to embrace this experience, teach these children, and learn about myself and the people around me—to do this I must have perservance and a few other things I have still yet to discover.

No comments: