Tuesday, August 17, 2010

cooking like betty crocker




Time for another fun filled update.

So the last few days have been rather eventful waiting for school to start and helping all the other teachers prepare their room, lots of bonding, laughing, and good times. Definitely been enjoying getting to know my new Alaskan family and having heart to hearts.

I am very proud to announce that Allison (my roommate) and I had our own dinner party Sunday night. I always envisioned all of us teachers eating together one

last time before school started and Sunday it all became possible. When we found out it was in fact going to be at our house we quick cleaned our bed rooms made our beds, washed our dishes…and did a little excitement dance! I do believe we know how to host a dinner party!

We impressed everyone with our mad spaghetti making skills along with corn and apples as a little snack. We tried to make bread with butter in the oven…but hey we are no Paula Dean..cooking is a skill we both hope to pick up by the conclusion of the school year. I am proud though to announce that I can now make one mean pitcher of kool-aid. And my water distilling skills are at their peak right now.

After our dinner party we went on a relaxing walk to reflect on our lives and have one more bonding experience before school started. We made sure to go to b

ed early to prepare for what was to come.

Today was the day….school started….we were pretty excited not going to lie…after our fashion show Sunday night we at least knew we were going to look good. We woke up early got ready and then it was picture time…and you know what? We looked pretty snazzy…best two looking teachers I’ve seen in a while.

First day went pretty smooth, met my class who I think was slightly afraid to talk to me. Helped around the school and after 8 long hours, I came home to more packages—its great opening up boxes I packed and having no clue what was inside.

After cooking quite the dinner (some call it supper) for my room mate I de

cided it was time to bake. I made sugar cookies for my friends and boy were they DELICIOUS….LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I THINK WE HAVE AMERICA’S NEXT TOP CHEF ON OUR HANDS…..so now as I sit on my bed about to take a tiger snooze before day numbero dos…I leave you with some final thoughts…this adjustment to this new lifestyle has its tough moments but the people I’ve met, my principal, and my room mate are making this process so much easier. They have been in my shoes before so when I get down they cheer me up with words of wisdom. And secondly---things are not always as tough as they seem and if you give it your all you can do anything (This lesson was learned as I was brave enough to empty the honey bucket alone too) I made people proud!

That’s all for now =)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Alicia, I am so glad to hear that things are going well. I totally love the blog!! I can almost hear you talking as I read...fabulous!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to hear you have such a good support system. They sound like good people to me! What a wonderful experience your having. As soon as I figure out this blog system I'll have to find your address and send up some goodies along with some tried and true comfort food recipes. I know cooking is scary when you first start out. I didn't really start cooking until I got married. Poor Stan. Plus it didn't help that my family didn't believe in me when it came to cooking. My Dad gave me not one put two Fire Extinguishers as a Wedding Shower gift. Ya burn one cake and your marked for life! LOL!